Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 27, 2011

July 27--Is this an autograph???

The hobby of collecting autographs is known as philography.
An autograph refers to a person's artistic signature.
A signature is a handwritten (and sometimes stylized) depiction of someone's name, nickname, or even a simple "X" that a person writes on documents as a proof of identity and intent. So armed with this information, I asked myself what is an autograph? So if it has to be handwritten, does that mean if it is printed, it is not an autograph.


That would mean any return addresses with a PRINTED name is not an autograph. I guess I buy that. (now what if that person's first language is not English and they learned to print English---or if the celebrity was a child who hadn't learned how to write yet). Henry Boucha autograph--Yes or No




Now if they just sign their last name, is that an autograph. Lefley (Chuck), autograph Yes or No.

Now thanks to Fuji at http://sanjosefuji.blogspot.com/ who turned me on to his music. Since I also play, my interest was piqued.

Yuto Miyazawa, 11 year old guitarist extraordinaire. Check him out.
http://www.yutoguitar.com/

His name in Japanese  宮澤佑門. Would this be an autograph. First name signed in English. Yes or No.

Now this short note signed by Bryan Campbell. Signed Soupy, which I think is the nickname of everyone named Campbell. Yes or No.

I think it's easier just posting cards for the days birthday. All this thinking is hurting my head.



And I still don't have any clear cut answers. Let me know what you think. Thanks

1 comment:

  1. Great post... I never took the time to break down the definition of an autograph. I'd guess I'd say it's whatever people jot down on an official document to represent themselves... be that a first name, a nickname or a paw print.

    I might have to put more thought into my answer though.

    ReplyDelete