Search This Blog

Saturday, August 20, 2011

Aug 19--81/82 OPC pack rip

Contest Alert (not mine) over at Cheap Card Collecting.




14 players share today as their birthday but nary an autographed item found in the man cave for any of them. So, for a change , a pack rip--81/82 OPC hockey.  This pack may contain great rookies and star cards. Is that like a bag of peanuts with the warning "This product may contain nuts. Possible rookies include Savard, Kurri, Moog, Ciccarelli, Anderson and Coffey($80). Star cards that book for $40 or more include Gretzky and Bourque. Pack includes 14 cards and the mandatory piece of gum. Since I haven't figured out (or tried to) how to do a video (like Sal at http://puckjunk.blogspot.com/ ) it'll just be show and tell time.

First the crinkly wrapper (Ted-moremonkeys138)



The slab of unchewed pinkish stuff.





Front of special offer card



Back of special offer card (I guess its the front if you read en francais) where the gum was stuck.


I'm ready to send in $10.00 includes postage and handling for a set ( heck, why not $20.00 for two sets )

Now for the goodies.

The Wax Stain Veteran (sorry Dave H)

The other card where the gum was attached (stain on front). This was put in the freezer to get the gum to release its hold on Pat.



The rest of the pack





What, you say. That's only 13 cards. Where's the other one?

?
?
?
?
?








Its the HIT

Literally card number one.

1
1
1
1
1
1












Ray Bourque
 (Rhymes with pork)

Pretty good shape. The usual rough cut edge and off centre. I'll take it though. Not too bad. Now I want to rip some more. Another day, another twenty dollars.

7 comments:

  1. you got not one, not two, but three Canadiens in one pack????

    Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and another three would be a six pack of Canadian---alas, none of my beloved Leafs--

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not bad! I've been thinking about putting some bids in on ebay for vintage packs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. VERY nice. '81-82 was one of my favourite sets to collect. I'd forgotten about the promo card. I must have pitched them, because I don't have one anywhere. I do have that 5X7 set somewhere,though. I need to scan it.

    Congrats on the Bourque!

    $20 per pack? That is a tad steep, though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great hit on the Bourque! True 20 may seem steep, but you can never put a price on opening a vintage pack of wax. Especially when it treats you well like this did.

    Hope to see a few more rips Al!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fair enough, though the last time I was ripping packs of that vintage you could pick up an entire box for $20. :)

    Yes, that was a while ago....

    ReplyDelete
  7. Al, could I trade you for that special offer card?

    ReplyDelete