Search This Blog

Sunday, August 17, 2014

IP Success Aug 17


Despite my problems in not attending Hockey Night in Brantford and not getting some autographs, I did manage to have success yesterday.
As any of my followers that do hound know, you have to keep your ears and eyes open for those opportunities. On Friday, I saw this ad in The Hamilton Spectator.



  Now Hamilton is a short distance away (44 km/27 miles). My mother in Hamilton has been a long time subscriber to the paper and each year at Christmas, they allow you to name someone to receive a free one year subscription. So, along with the local paper, I can see whats happening elsewhere (hello Hamilton Bulldogs). This innocuous little ad at the bottom of the sports section did catch my attention. An appearance by Cam Talbot, NYR backup goalie at ON ICE Goaltending School.

I did a quick search and didn't find any cards of his that I had. It was time for my old friend Google to help me. Found some images and printed up some 4 x 6 's to get signed. I got there a little later than 11:00 and went to the room where he was. It appears he gave a clinic in the morning and the participants and their parents were talking to him and asking questions. Some were tips regarding on-ice  play (see how I worked the name in here) and some off-ice questions. A few things I learned about him.

He grew up a Montreal Canadiens and Patrick Roy fan.
His wife is from Dallas but they have bought a home in this area.
He started playing organized hockey around the age of 7 and didn't become a full time goaltender until the age of 10. 

There was around 15-20 people there, parents and kids. Some of them already had mini-sticks, pictures and jerseys/hats signed. After about an hour, the crowd dwindled down and I got these signed.



He was kind of impressed that I made these up. He had also brought with him his pads, gloves and the Stadium Series mask that I had printed up. He was great with the kids , even trying to coax the shy ones to ask questions. Awesome time and I was glad to snag some signatures for my ever growing collection.  Wonder when the next chance will appear.

No comments:

Post a Comment